The Grand Lake District of Oakland is located near the northeast corner of Lake Merritt, where Lakeshore Avenue and Grand Avenue pass under Highway 580. Grand Lake borders Piedmont up the hill to the North, Trestle Glen to the East, and Adams Point to the West. Grand and Lakeshore avenues both have shopping strips.
Lake Merritt is an urban estuary, and easily one of the most notable features Oakland has to offer its residents. The lake itself is a mix of fresh and salt waters, and home to many different species of wildlife. Green lawns and parks border the lake as well as a 3.1-mile paved walking and jogging path. The body of water was originally designed in 1870, and the last original 19th mansion that sits on the lake’s edge is the Camron-Stafford House, built in 1876 by Samuel Merritt himself. A string of lights, called “the necklace of lights,” circles the lake’s perimeter—first lit in 1925, making the lake sparkle even at night.
Grand Lake district is now the heart of Oakland, with a central location and a space for outdoor and social activities. A destination for Bay Area kids is the 10-acre Children’s Fairyland, a storybook park with life-size statues of favorite nursery rhyme characters as well as a train that goes through the park and a puppet theater.
Receive a FREE Real Estate Market Report